Watamu & Gede
Gede villages on the seaward side off the main Malindi Road and a short distance before Watamu houses Kenyaís most important monument, the GEDE or GEDI RUINS about 20 km south of Malindi town - an Islamic civilization city, which disappeared mysteriously about three hundred years ago. The ruins were gazetted as a monument in 1927 and became a National Park now a National Museum (45 acres) in 1948.
The great city Mosque and parts of the Kingís Palace and other city houses have been restored, well-preserved and signposted with well maintained trails for the benefit and enjoyment of the visitors who can now view them with admirable ease. An information center has been established in the area to show the visitors what the city used to look like and to display the interesting artefact's unearthed from the ruins.
The ruins are surrounded by a thick coastal forest where interesting mammals and birds are seen. Some of the common mammals include Greater galago, Bushbaby, Blue monkey, Yellow baboon, Black and white colobus, Red duiker, Blue duiker, Aderís duiker, suni and Black-faced vervet monkey.
Birds are plentiful and one is sure of seeing interesting forest bird species like Crested guinea fowl, Green pigeon, Fischerís turaco, Brown-headed parrot, trumpeter hornbill, Silvery-cheeked hornbill and many others.From Gede village one travels for about 8 kilometres to Watamu village beyond which is the Watamu Marine National Park established in 1968 for the preservation of the coral reef resources.